Sunday, May 22, 2011

#4 “If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.” ~Lewis Hine.

Write a brief reaction to this quote. Is this quote applicable to your experience with photography? What does it mean to you? Do you agree with the idea presented or disagree? Describe situations when photographic images reveal “the story” (as compared to words). Describe situations when words reveal “the story” (as compared to images).

This refers back to my previous post when I said that a picture is worth a thousand words. And yes I agree that if I were a better storyteller I might not need my camera as much. I am not an experienced photographer in the least, but in my experiences thus far a picture can be much easier than trying to describe an experience. For example, my husband and I went to Pestoskey for the first time last summer and it was so beautiful while we were there that although we could try to describe it there is no way we could do it justice. The pictures however tells it all.


On the other hand, I think that words do a much better job when it comes to fantastical story telling. For example, if I'm reading a book and the author is describing a scene, I want to see it my head the way I create it. I don't want to see an image given to me, I want to make the world in the book in my imagination before I get handed a picture of what its supposed to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment