Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Assignment 1: Explore

 Indoor: Home

With this photograph I was trying to emulate the feeling of being comfortable and at home. These pups are at ease enough that they have laid down to relax. The composition is a little off balance, with the focus being on Tucker's (the white one) paws and we are looking at them from their perspective...the floor. When taking this, I hadn't intended for the dogs to be in the picture. I was originally going to take a picture of my dining room where all my stuff ends up landing at the end of the day. But as I was taking it the dogs wanted to know what I was doing and being the shadows that they normally are they laid down right in front of me. So I put the camera on the floor, at their level, which I think puts forth an interesting image because if you look close enough you can see the dust bunnies and dirt on the floor...which is something we don't always want people to see of our homes.

 Midday: Stillness

With this photograph I really had in mind a particular movie I used to watch all the time when I was a kid....The Parent Trap (the original one with Haley Mills.) I have the extended version and there is a scene in the beginning where the mother and daughter are "walking" along in a park and the mother starts singing and it is all very perfect. The funny thing about this is that you can totally tell that they are not really in a park, the park is just a background and to me this image looks like that background. There is very high contrast, everything is in such detail and it is so still it almost doesn't seem real. The cloud looks as if it has been perfectly placed to balance out the composition. This was taken midday day that was both sunny and threatened rain, which is why I think that cloud has so much dimension.

 Midday: Stillness

 Repetition

I really enjoy this image because it really has a puzzling effect. The emphasis at first is on the part of railing that is jutting out to the left, but then as you look at it the repetition of line moves your eye around the image. My idea for this was show that repetition doesn't always have to be perfect and in your face, that it's a bit more interesting to find it. To me this is evident in the horizontal lines of the railing and painted stripes in the parking spots. What makes it more fun is the unexpected diagonals of the part of the painted area that is going up and the jutted railing. The organic curved lines of the metal paneling along the wall also add interest. This photograph could be interpreted as a comment on decaying urban structures and the natural environment around them.

Repetition

No comments:

Post a Comment