Thursday, June 2, 2011

Assignment #2



For the above images my goal was to show the play in light as well as the character of Jared (the subject). I did this by having a very long shutter speed and moving the camera around, trying to paint with the light that was coming from the lamp and the TV. In the critique there was some controversy about what the focus in these image was...because there is so much going on. I at first said that the focus was on Jared but then after some consideration I don't think it is solely on him. I think the focus is him in the space, not one or the other, and the light that is interacting with both of them. In both of these images it is hard to tell how much the light is actually playing around them until you take a closer look, then you can really see the interesting things it is doing. I like that, I like that it makes the viewer have to lean in and take a closer look.


This image was taken the same night as the above images. I am still using a very slow shutter speed and trying to make the light of the lamp be a hazy, blur but the focus in the image is definitely Jared and his expression. He had switched sofas and was sitting closer to me and was kind of tired of me having the camera in his face. There was another one with him laughing but after hearing comments in the works in progress critique I chose this one because his expression is so much more interesting. I like how the light kind of blurs out half his face and it is really bright and then behind him is so dark and almost foreboding. It works for me. This one also came out really nice in print.



These images are a result of the prompt "take a portrait of a stranger." I was trying to be a sneaking photographer, sitting at the tables outside of the international center, trying to take pictures of the people around me. I must not of been that good at it because she noticed right away and came over to say hello. She was the sweetest person and we sat and talked for awhile, she was smiling and laughing the whole time. The reason why I chose these particular to images is this: In the one on the bottom I think I really captured her personality, she was so friendly and relaxed and seemed to just enjoy life. She was telling me about where she was from and where she had been and was really interested in me and the photography class I was taking. I think that this photograph gets across her "happy." I chose the one above it because it was the one of the only images in which she wasn't smiling. Her pose is so much different in this one, not as relaxed, not as open. There were some comments in the critique that this wasn't a very strong image and that I shouldn't have chose it. I disagree. To me this one is very interesting, it is kind of showing another side to her. It's a little more awkward, what could she be saying that would make her change her posture so much? I like the lines her arms make against the framing of the tree that is kind of holding her down. I like that you can see it must have been a bit breezy because of the way her hair is placed. I really like them both and I think that it shows what portraiture is all about...the person, their personality and the many sides a person has to their personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment